Show Off Your Cooking Knowledge & Creativity!
ZEST’s One Hour with Chef Winter Recipe Contest gives you the opportunity to create a recipe, with as many parts as you’d like, and win valuable and useful prizes!
Our judge, Owner-Executive Chef Paolo Laboa, of Solo Italiano in Portland, has chosen the following ingredients. Recipes must include these but you can add what ever else you’d like to make a complete dish.
Your submission must include, but is not limited to, the following ingredients:
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE
1. Write out your recipe in a Word doc listing ingredients first followed by directions. If there are sauces, stuffings or side dishes, please subhead each under Ingredients and then under Directions. Follow the format of this abbreviated recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
2 pounds unseasoned ground pork
Combine flour and salt in food processor. Add butter and pulse machine 10–15 times to break butter into pea-sized pieces. Add water and pulse 10–15 times, until dough is crumbly but sticks together when pinched. Turn dough out onto clean surface, form it into 2 disks, wrap each tightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft but not brown, about 4–5 minutes. Add pork; use back of spoon to break into bite-sized pieces. Once meat is almost cooked, but still a bit pink, add allspice, 1½ teaspoons salt, pepper and cloves.
2. Then, plate your dish and photograph it. Send the recipe and photo to Editor-Publisher Nancy Gordon, email@example.com.
Deadline for submissions: February 21, 2020. You will be notified by ZEST if you have won and given Chef Laboa’s contact info to schedule your One Hour at the convenience of you both.
The JUDGE and the PRIZES
Photo: Erin Little
1. One Hour with Chef Paolo Laboa in his Portland restaurant, Solo Italiano. This is your hour … You can drink, nibble and chat; learn or hone a new skill; or perhaps cook something.
2. ZEST Night! Chef Laboa will serve the winning dish at Solo Italiano for one dinner service. You will be notified in advance to make reservations and bring your family and friends … Winner eats at no charge.
3. One bottle each of FIORE olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
4. A Victorinox Swiss Modern 7” Granton Edge Santoku Knife from Now You’re Cooking.
5. Thermoworks ThermoPop Super-Fast® digital thermometer from Rooster Brother.
Good luck and have fun!